The Touro Kosher chef restaurant
The Touro Kosher chef restaurant, located at one of the most beautiful spots in Jerusalem, is part of the Jerusalem Press Club, launched in June, 2013. The restaurant is named after Judah Touro (1775-1854), an American-Jewish philanthropist who helped finance the establishment of next door Mishkenot Sha’ananim by Sir Moses Montefiore, in 1860. Touro, who was the founder of the Touro Synagogue in Newport, Rhode Island, moved to New Orleans in 1801, and upon his death in 1854 he was one of the wealthiest Jews in America. Touro College, chartered in New York State in 1970, takes its name from the Touro family of Judah Touro and his father Isaac.
For many years
For many years the building used to serve as the grocery store of Yemin Moshe Neighborhood. In 1948 it was vacated when the War of Independence placed it squarely in the midst of fighting between Arabs and Jews. Michael Kirshenbaum, a resident of Mishkenot Sha’ananim, was killed here during the fierce fighting, and a monument commemorating this event is placed near the restaurant’s terrace.
In August 1973
In August 1973, Chef Moise Pe’er opened here his famous restaurant, where legendary Mayor Teddy Kollek used to host famous dignitaries visiting Jerusalem. In 2000 the restaurant moved to Mishkenot Sha’ananim and the building was closed down.
In June 2013
In June 2013, after a year of renovation funded by the Helmsley Charitable Trust and executed by the Jerusalem Foundation, the Jerusalem Press Club opened its doors in this building. The press club is a “home away from home” for foreign journalists based in Israel and those visiting, where they can work in an advanced professional environment, meet with Israelis from all walks of life, and wine and dine in the most amicable atmosphere. Touro Kosher meat restaurant, under the leadership of Chef Benny Ashkenazi, is open to the general public.